Where do I get information on the pension plan?

Semi-annually, you will receive a statement from the Pension Plan showing the activity of your account. You can also visit the Home Care Employee Benefits Plans website at www.mbhomecarebenefits.ca or contact Ellement Consulting Group at 1.844.521.1716 or email at mbhomecarebenefits@ellement.ca.

What if I am unable to work and temporarily absent from work?

If you are unable to work due to a disability, leave of absence or layoff but not terminated, all your contributions will stop until your return to work.

What I terminate my employment?

The value of both the employer and employee contributions made into the Pension Plan is immediately vested and locked in. You will be provided with options regarding your account balance with the Pension Plan.

Can I withdraw pension contributions while still employed?

You can withdraw your non locked-in voluntary contribution at any time. Note that there may be applicable fees associated with the withdrawal of non locked-in voluntary contributions. Unless a withdrawal is required by law, your required employer and employee contributions and any other voluntary locked-in contributions made to the plan will remain in the plan until your employment terminates, you die, retire or the plan terminates.

Can I unlock my funds in my pension account?

There are certain situations where you may be able to receive your locked-in benefit as a lump sum cash payment. These situations are the following:

  • If your employment terminates, you retire or die and your benefit is less than 20% of the Year’s Maximum Pensionable Earnings for the calendar year in the event occurred, you may be eligible to receive your pension as a lump sum cash payment or the funds may be transferred to a registered retirement savings plan (RRSP); or
  • If you have been declared a non-resident of Canada for the purpose of the Income Tax Act, a locked-in benefit may be paid as a lump sum cash payment with specific documents of non-residency.

What happens if you have been diagnosed that you are facing a shortened life expectancy?

If a medical physician licensed to practice in the province where you reside certifies that your life expectancy is likely to be shortened to less than two years due to a terminal illness or disability, you may be eligible to receive your pension as a lump sum cash payment or the funds may be transferred to a registered retirement savings plan (RRSP).

Can I use my pension as collateral?

You cannot use your pension benefits as collateral for a loan.

I am going through a marriage breakdown or relationship breakdown – what do I do?

If you are going through a marriage or relationship breakdown, your benefit may be assigned and/or reduced under pension legislation. Please contact a lawyer about the laws concerning this situation. You may also want to contact the Plan Administrator to discuss additional paperwork that may be required to deal with the marriage or relationship breakdown.

I want to stop paying into my pension plan, what do I do?

If you wish to draw out your pension, you must terminate/retire from your employer to have access to your pension benefits.

Who can I name as my beneficiary?

If you are single, you can name anyone as your beneficiary. If you have a spouse/common-law partner who has not signed the spousal waiver form then your spouse/common-law partner must be your beneficiary.

What are the definitions of spouse and common-law partner?

Spouse refers to the person who is married to the Plan member or former Plan member.

Common-law partner refers to:

  • A person who is in a registered common-law relationship with the Plan member or former Plan member under section 13.1 of The Vital Statistics Act, or
  • A person who is not married to the Plan member or former Plan member but has lived with the Plan member, or former member in a conjugal relationship for a period of:
  1. At least three years, if either of them is married, or
  2. At least one year, if neither of them is married.


Are my dependents eligible for Vision Care expenses?

No, the Vision Care benefit is only for the employee. Your dependents are not eligible for coverage.

Do I need to pay a deductible for my benefits?

For the Dental Plan, there is a fee of $25 per person/family per calendar year that is deducted from your first dental claim reimbursement in the calendar year.

Who is eligible for Orthodontic Services?

Coverage for Orthodontic Services is available for eligible dependent children who are between the ages of 6 to 18 years old. Coverage is 50% up to a maximum benefit of $1,100 for each completed course of treatment.

What is my Plan Number and ID Number?

For Weekly Sick Leave, Dental and Vision, the Plan Number is 51504 and your RHA# and ID # is your employee number.